Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Advantage In Limitation

Well I'm not sure what happened this morning, but I tweaked my knee.  I will blame 3-step sparring, because that's what I was doing at the time...but I doubt that was really it.  No big deal, nothing serious...but bending my knee while putting any significant weight on it was a no go.  And so everything was modified this morning to accommodate this.  It was a bit odd at first, stiff-legged and only really moving my upper body in things like Da Mu Hsing and even sparring.  I felt like the opposite of that girl that didn't swing her arms in that episode of Seinfeld.  😂  But I also wasn't willing to forgo my training completely because that can be a slippery slope.  There's no reason I can't push on and it's not the worst thing to practice with a limitation.  At 41 (ssssssshhhh....lies!!) I better start getting used to it.

However...what was especially gratifying was that I actually picked up on a few little details in my upper body that I hadn't noticed before!  There were a few movements within my forms where I realized my technique could definitely be a bit sharper.  A few spots where things were a bit out of sync.  And because my upper body was the only thing moving today, I noticed these, where as previously they were "camouflaged" by my lower half.

Oh the advantages of a simple knee tweak.

No comments:

Post a Comment