Saturday, December 19, 2020

Kung Fu In Real Life

We all know there are a ton of benefits to Kung Fu. Self defense. Confidence.  Empathy.  Leadership skills. Health.  And many, many more.  

And I’m sure we all wonder if any of this will actually “kick in” during a real life situation. How will we respond when we need to make a quick decision?  Will we react instinctively?   Will we know what to do when a situation presents itself?  

Well.  I had my first real life experience using a physical component of Kung Fu.  Three assailants were chasing me through my house.  One 6’3” burly guy and his 2 ferocious, feral sidekicks.  They were attempting to instigate a tickle fight.  So I ran.  

Eventually I made it to the bathroom, where I was able to shut the door.  All 3 of them pushed against the door several times, to no avail.  It wouldn’t budge.  Not even an inch.  Even I, myself, was confused that I was able to hold them off.  And in all honesty, I wasn’t even exerting myself.  Eventually they gave up and left, in search of a bedtime snack. It was at that moment that I wondered “How I was able to hold the door all alone?”  There were 3 of them...1 of me.  I then realized I was holding the door in a perfect, beautiful bow stance...my back foot connected solidly to the earth. I hadn’t even thought about it.  I just did it.  And it worked.

Now I know this is a humorous story, and I wasn’t in any actual danger...but it still feels kinda cool that I knew what to do in that moment...that my body knew what to do...and I did it without thinking about it.  

Looks like things are starting to stick.  

1 comment:

  1. Jeepers, you have a big dog at 6'3". I never thought of Dan as a sidekick though. Maybe feral, but a sidekick?

    ReplyDelete