Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Idle Hands

I'm seeing many people blogging about how they are looking forward to this holiday break because they'll have alot more opportunity, and time, to train.  I, unfortunately, am the opposite.  These types of breaks are what can often throw me off my game.  I have learned that I thrive in structure.  The more accountability the better.  More often than not, the less "spare" time I have, the more I actually seem to get accomplished.  When you throw a bunch of extra time at me, in an unstructured way, I have no idea what to do.  I end up wasting it.  I even end up neglecting the things I normally do because I initially feel that I have all the time in the world to do it.  But then suddenly I don't.  

I need a purpose.  I need accountability.  Holidays and time off do not provide those.  No work.  No classes.  No Tai Chi.  No Q&As.  No meetings.  No challenges.  No commitments.  No timelines.  No deadlines.  No quotas.  Nobody to check in with.  Nobody to report to.  So it really doesn't matter what I do or don't accomplish.  There are many things I CAN do, but there's nothing I HAVE to do.

I do have a 1-on-1 booked for each week and hopefully that will keep me somewhat grounded and accountable.  And maybe recognizing that this has been an issue in the past will help me avoid getting de-railed.

Needless to say, I am actually really nervous about all this time off.

1 comment:

  1. You can reach out anytime during the holidays and during the week for help with anything at anytime. There may not be official, organized classes everyday but there is kung fu everyday. You just may need to look harder.

    ReplyDelete