Friday, September 13, 2024

Holy Forking Shirtballs

One little piece of feedback from last nights class and it's seeming to be a gamechanger for me.

To paraphrase...."Everything physically looks good.  You're doing the right things. But you are too in your head thinking about all the things you are currently working on.  I can tell that you are focused within, trying hard to do everything right, rather than focused outwards, at an actual target.  Being in your head while you are at home training and working on things is good.  But here, in this type of situation [performance or demo], I want you to be in the moment and I want you to convince me that there is actually a threat.  Right now I'm not convinced."

I made this adjustment last night after we got our individual feedback.  And I immediately recognized exactly what Sifu was talking about.  As soon as I projected my focus (my intent) further out, there was a correlating, and dramatic, shift in my intensity.  I also noticed slight changes in my tempo, phrasing, release and even flow.  Super, super exciting.

And although I was working specifically on Long, I decided to apply this quickly to Lao Gar 1 as well.  I was curious and wanted to see if I noticed these things there too.  And all I have to say is "holy forking shirtballs".

This teeny tiny little bit of feedback is huge and I'll be applying this alot more moving forward.  

I felt really good leaving class last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment