Saturday, September 28, 2024

I Promise

As we were working on our forms on Thursday, I found myself thinking about the complexity of the "simplest" movements.  

With the first challenge, I happened to find an exact example of what Sifu had been talking about with pivoting while in a crane stance.  How you need to lift your weight without lifting your body, or center.  I have been struggling with a particular transition for quite a while.  I go from a super deep pushed in horse (more or less) to a cat stance 180 degrees the other way.  I've been trying relentlessly to figure out how to make this work for quite some time now.  I might have chalked it up as being impossible and changed my form....but with a partner, who isn't struggling with it like I am, I know that it's possible.  I ended up applying some of the things Sifu had said earlier (lifting my weight, but not lifting my whole body...which I think I've been doing and it's been leaving me struggling with my balance) and, although it's not fixed, I think I know the problem and finally have a plan of attack.

For the second challenge, I found myself at exactly the same spot. *sigh* When we discussed expansion and contraction, I realized that this was also a contributing factor to my trouble in this particular spot.  In the preceding pose I am fully expanded.  As I transition, I don't think I've been contracting before following through to the next move.  I'm pulling in, but not fully, and so again, I think this has also contributed to the imbalance I've been experiencing.  I'm not consolidating and so my harmonies are sort of still "hanging out there"...if that makes any sense.  When I actively contracted, fully, during the transition, there was definitely some positive results.  So again, I'll continue working with that strategy as well.

Anyways, back to my main point.  As I was working on this.....basically one single transition...for the entire class....I thought to myself...

"Nobody* is ever going to realize how much work and effort I put into this tiny little single move."

I thought of being up on stage at the banquet, the audience watching, and not truly recognizing that these tiny little "insignificant" moves are sometimes even more difficult to master than the big flashy ones that the audience will likely appreciate more.

And so I have made a vow that when I am watching my fellow classmates do their forms, I am going to really pay attention to the tiniest of details and I promise to give them the recognition and credit they deserve.  

I will see them and I will appreciate all the hard work.


*When I say "nobody" I don't really mean "nobody".  I realize that those that have truly developed their eye for detail, or those that struggled with similar things, would recognize and appreciate the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment