Thursday, October 19, 2023

Pivot

When injured we often have to make a conscious effort to modify.  Once we are healed, we re-adjust and move forward.

But sometimes we modify without realizing it.  And these modifications that we aren't aware of can be damaging.  If we aren't aware we are doing it, it can very likely become a regular habit even after we are healed.

On two separate occasions now, I've become aware of a modification I've been making without a conscious effort.

In the Young Dragons class, Sifu Rybak challenged the students to figure out how they pivot during a roundhouse or sideheel.  Do they hop?  Do they pivot on the ball of their foot?  The heel?  Flat footed?

In these instances, the correct way is to pivot on the ball of your foot.  But during this exercise, I realized that I am not.  To avoid any pressure or torque on my toes, I am pivoting more on my heel.  And this is very difficult to do while remaining grounded and maintaining proper alignment and balance...which is probably why I'm struggling so bad with remaining grounded and maintaining proper alignment and balance.  Lol.

On another occasion, we were practicing a certain sequence in Da Mu Hsing where we pivot 180 degrees out of an open-x and into a bow stance.  Technically, if we are in proper stance to begin with, we should make that turn with no issues and end up in a perfect bow stance without having to adjust.  I found that my bow stance kept ending up short, and it wasn't because of that initial open-x.  As I played with it more, I realized I was making that same pivot adjustment here as I am with my kicks.  As I turned, instead of pivoting on the ball of my foot, I've been pivoting on the heel, resulting in the shortened stance.  

Obviously there's a good reason why I'm doing this at present.  And now that I am aware, I can be cognizant as I heal that I don't let this habit, or possibly others, continue any longer than necessary.

IHC Numbers To Date

Pushups = 28044
Situps = 28259
Kwan Dao = 582
Tai Chi Short = 679
Sparring = 556
Km's = 1103
AOKs = 710

No comments:

Post a Comment