Monday, November 29, 2021

Pottery Goal - IHC Year of the Ox - Success

I am officially calling my pottery goal for the IHC Year of the Ox a success.

Did I make 4 matching coffee mugs?  Weeeeeeeeeeell...technically no....but I did make 2 sets of 4 "un-matching" coffee mugs....as well as many other pieces!!  Lol.

Even though I wasn't able to get anything matching, alot of different things resulted out of setting this goal.

I built my pottery shed and got my kiln set up.
I successfully calibrated and fired my kiln for the first time.
I learnt a bunch about clay bodies and glazes.
I learned how to glaze and layer.
I expanded to pinch pots and sculpting.
And I did make those mugs, matching or not.

And BAM!!!  A realization just slapped me in the face.

The more I think about this, the more I see that perhaps these specific requirements that we set aren't necessarily our true goals.  But instead, they are more often the means to reach our true goal.  If I had written "get back into pottery" as a goal, what would that have meant?  How would I have done that?  How would I have measured that?  How would I have known I had successfully reached my goal?  It would have been so abstract a goal that I likely would have failed.  So instead, I think I chose a specific task.  Something on which to focus.  A reason to get back on my wheel.  A reason to dust off my equipment.  A reason to learn and expand this skill.  A reason to get back to doing something that I love to do.

Making these coffee mugs wasn't the real goal.  It was the tool I needed to reach my real goal.

The real goal was re-igniting my passion for pottery.  And it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment