Wednesday, September 2, 2020

My Own Way

At my last one-on-one I asked for some feedback on my Lao Gar form.  One of the areas we discussed was the Tiger Claw sequence in part 3. 

Over the past couple of days I've practiced this sequence, trying to "figure it out".  Eventually I noticed a difference from one attempt to the next.  Every once in a while, it would just feel more powerful.  Once this happened a few times (by chance) I was able to re-create it more and more at will and I could really feel the difference in energy and power.  I would almost describe it as having a vibrating sensation.  It was as if this energy was ramping up, getting ready to be used.  In these moments I became very aware of my own body and self.  I also recognized that my movements weren't 100% exactly how they had been demo'd for me....but it felt "right" for me.  The energy and power that came with it was proof enough of that.  I think I understand, somewhat better at least, why we often get the answer "it depends on the person" when we ask questions.  I always assumed this answer was just about our external physical capabilities (ie. current injuries, flexibility, muscle power, etc).  But now I realize there's an internal component here as well.  We are shown examples or versions of the basic mechanics to get us going....to get us started.  But you can't really be shown how to use and tap into your internal abilities.

It's up to us to listen more closely and carefully to our own bodies and energy...to pay better attention.  By doing so, we will eventually make that perfect connection between external and internal and, ultimately, discover our own way.


**EDITED

I had included a quote at the end of this blog entry.

"Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own." - Bruce Lee

After some discussion with Sifu Brinker, I have learned that this quote is often taken out of context.  Although I'm sure it wasn't Bruce Lee's intent, it has become somewhat of a "guideline" for martial artists to disregard and ignore teachings simply because they do not like them, understand them or find them too hard to implement.  This was not my purpose when using this quote, but I can understand it's negative connotation.  Words are powerful.  And they can be interpreted in different ways.

*Side note...I have also discovered there are a couple different versions of this quote.  I'm not sure which would be the original.

1 comment:

  1. You are definitely developing an eye for detail. On a side note, I am the biggest Bruce Lee fan in history but that quote is the most limiting quote ever attributed to him. I am convinced that if he would have lived another 20 years he would want to refine what he said. Too many people are embracing this quote and "rejecting what is useless" as justification to not master what they don't like or what they don't understand. If you're interested I will elaborate further on this next time we get a chance to talk one on one.

    ReplyDelete