Thursday, September 24, 2020

I Missed a Class...and I Didn't Like It

I missed my first class yesterday since starting Kung Fu.  I still attended online, so I guess I didn't technically miss it, but it's just not the same.  Having said that I'm still super thankful it was an option!  

Although disappointed, I decided to approach it as an opportunity to observe my fellow classmates, as well as the instructors, from a different perspective.  By looking in, I definitely picked up some things that I'll be working on going forward.  In class, our main focus is on ourselves.  We rarely have the opportunity to watch others.  By watching others, I was able to pick up on some things I'm not doing, as well as some things I am doing, but probably shouldn't be.  I also made some connections with certain techniques that I hadn't realized before.

Something else that I don't often notice at the time, is how many Sifus we have on the mats and how often they are spending personal time with each of us.  It was constant!  Never were they not present and engaged with us.  At any given time someone was getting some specific feedback.  It was really cool to see from a bird's eye view and is just further proof of how unique Silent River Kung Fu is, how deeply they care for their students and how much they want us to succeed.  It makes me want to work even harder when I know I have such an awesome team in my corner.

Being at the Kwoon is a key factor for success...in my opinion.  It pained me not be there, and I definitely felt a disconnect.  If you can physically get there, get there....even if you might not be able to participate fully.  There are a bunch of things at the Kwoon that are a big part of being successful.  The personal attention and feedback...the comradery...the atmosphere....the energy....the symbols of our history and lineage...the essence of those that came before us...just to name a few.  But if you can't physically get there, there is zero reason not to at least observe online.  Still a huge amount of value there if you use the opportunity in a positive way.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the impact of the kwoon on one's mindset (and therefore training) should never be underestimated. It is fantastic that you recognize the value of observing from a different perspective. This is why teaching the art is so important in mastering the art. Having to see a technique from another's perspective provide's infinite insights and opportunities.

    ReplyDelete