Friday, August 9, 2024

Double Blam

Last week we were given an assignment.  We were to explore the piece in Lao Gar 1 where we step back into an elongated bow with 2 backfists directed behind us.  This is also known as "Double Blam" in the Young Dragons 1 class.  lol.

As I've been playing with this, it dawned on me how this sequence is an obvious example of how the external harmonies work.  

Hands-Feet...Elbows-Knees...Shoulders-Hips

And when I say "obvious" I mean obvious now that I've been directed to actually pay some close attention.  

As I did this sequence over and over, while applying my eye for detail, I noticed that I could easily recognize each of these connections.  It starts with the shoulders-hips as the motions are initiated.  It flows down to the elbows-knees and then finally ends with the hands-feet at "impact" or completion of the strike.  These connections and flow were always there...I just never acknowledged them specifically.  

To be honest, this hasn't been a part that I've ever really paid alot of close attention to.  I tend to focus on the parts that give me serious trouble.  And in an effort not to overload my mind too heavily, I often tell myself that if it feels ok, then I should trust my body is doing what it needs to do and not overthink it too much.  Overthinking can sometimes get me in trouble or lead me down the wrong path.  But in my attempt to not overthink, I've also stopped being mindful.  Whoopsies.

After diving deeper into a portion that I feel fairly good about, I can see that understanding what IS working in one area, or what IS obvious, can be very useful in troubleshooting the areas that I'm really struggling with.



IHC Numbers To Date
Pushups = 19574
Situps = 18668
Fan = 400
Long = 299
Sparring = 222
Km's = 627
AOKs = 498

No comments:

Post a Comment