Friday, March 15, 2024

Ongoing Recovery

I just finished meeting with my surgeon. I had some concerns with some of the challenges I am still facing with my recovery and thought it best to see him rather than Google.

Issue number one is that my big toe still does not touch the ground. It's better than it was for sure. But it continues to challenge my overall stability and balance and I haven't noticed any further progress for several months. He was not concerned in the slightest. Apparently lifting the toe slightly is actually part of the procedure. They do that intentionally when they reconstruct the bone to specifically take pressure off that area. He was 100% certain that will rectify over time.  

Issue number two is that I will experience that foot get very cold and then my toes will go numb. If you've ever seen me off to the side rubbing my foot, or wondered why I've been sporting socks on occasion, that is why. Again, this is not great for mobility/stability/balance to any degree if I can't feel my toes. This particular issue seemed to confuse him. His exact words were "In my 30 years of doing these surgeries I have not had anyone make this particular complaint." And so he wants to follow up to ensure that something hasn't gone awry with my blood flow and is sending me for a special ultrasound.

So I suppose we will see what that tells us and go from there.

2 comments:

  1. He is probably going to check it out on Google and get back to you. :-)

    ReplyDelete